PLCS Medium Pressure Encapsulation
Encapsulation works by encasing the leaking joint in a mold, filling the mold with a two-part polyurethane sealant and pressurizing it to above mains pressure by twisting down the mold neck. This action stops the leak, as gas cannot leak from low pressure to a higher pressure.
- Medium Pressure fabric molds are made from very high strength, non-stretch fabric.
- They are pressurized by twisting the necks down with an unbreakable fiberglass rod.
- A vent is often installed to remove trapped gas.
- A gauge records sealant pressure to make sure that it overcomes mains pressure, which can be up to 25psi.
- The sealant cures to a tough, flexible synthetic rubber that is permanently adhered to the pipe joint.
- Encapsulated joints are sealed for the lifetime of the pipe. They will never leak again.
- Stock kits are available for most standard joints and couplings.
- Almost any type of joint or fitting can be encapsulated with a custom made special kit.
- Re-usable metal molds can be fabricated to encapsulate joints and fittings working at up to 60psi